Google has published a series of changes it will implement in February 2024 to increase the protection for email users against spam and phishing. These requirements will entail a change to the Email area, which must include the option to unsubscribe with a single click in newsletter emails.
This article details the scope of this change and how it will affect Connectif and the sending of emails.
1.1. What does the one-click unsubscribe requirement mean for Connectif?
One of the main requirements is that all newsletter mailings must include a one-click unsubscribe option. This is a Google standard that must be applied in order to send emails. It has been adapted in Connectif to meet the requirements by including the "List-Unsubscribe" header in all Newsletter type emails.
- From now on, the "List-Unsubscribe" header will be included in Newsletter emails created on the platform.
- All newsletter emails will automatically include this header but transactional, system, or preview emails will not.
- This header allows email clients that support the standard to include a button for the contact to unsubscribe without opening the mail.
- This is an example of the headers to be included:
- Adding this button or not will depend entirely on each mail client, so some clients may not display it.
1.2. When is the unsubscribe button displayed?
- It is up to each mail client to decide whether to display the button or not.
- In addition, the instances in which it is displayed will depend on the criteria of each email provider.
2. How the header included in the emails works
By adding the "List-Unsubscribe" header you are allowing all mail clients that support this standard to easily Add the List-Unsubscribe button.
Display the button in a sent email
The following example shows how the unsubscribe button would look in Gmail:
When you click on it, this confirmation popup will appear for the contact to confirm the unsubscription:
Disable feature in Connectif
Enabling this feature will be essential for Gmail not to block the sending of emails, therefore it is not possible to disable it in any way.
To make the most of your Connectif account, we recommend reading these articles next:
from Email, , to learn how to compose your emails.
Create block of personalized products in an email, to send your customers products of their interest.
- Links in emails: view in browser, unsubscribe, and buttons, to configure predefined links.
- Errors in subscription notifications, to identify errors in subscriptions and unsubscriptions and to act on them.